Huron SERVE 2011 Speaker

We are privileged to have Mark DeVos as our speaker at Huron Serve 2011.  Here is a short bio Mark gave about himself:



Hi,
I am 24 years old.  At 14 years old I started reading self-help books, everything from Donald Trump to Oprah’s Book Club favorites.  The long story short is that I tried the self-help route to spirituality and did not find it helpful.  When I was 15 I started up a lawn maintenance company and over the next couple of years was invited to speak at local business clubs.  I kept talking about Jesus so some people did not like me very much. My pastor found out about this and invited me to preach in the church.

Today, I live in the African American ghetto of St. Louis and my best friends are church planters. I don’t fit in very well here, as it turns out I am white and quite nerdy, but I love it!  I am constantly amazed by how my friends are not afraid of losing income, reputation, comfort and even their very lives for Jesus’ sake (St. Louis has the highest homicide rate in the country).  What frightens me is that apparently the people who we surround ourselves with impact us in huge ways.

I am now doing seminary in St. Louis rather than Grand Rapids because I wanted outside of the Dutch bubble. I feel that this way I will be better equipped to serve the CRC when I get out. While in seminary I have had the opportunity to live with and become close friends with an astrophysicist and an evolutionary biologist.  When I am asked by friends in Canada what I like to do for fun in St. Louis I say, “Attend lectures!” (...there is much truth to this). Seriously though, for fun I love working with students! I particularly love university students from other nations who have never heard of Jesus and have been led by the Living God to study in St. Louis so that they can receive an education and... hear about Jesus of course! 

It is very exciting for me to have the opportunity to be the speaker on this SERVE trip. Some of the events that had the biggest impact on me in my teen years occurred when I was away from my parents and surrounded by men and women who loved Jesus (I have nothing against my parents by the way, but there was something nice about being away from them!).  I don’t doubt that Jesus will change your life when you are on this trip. It is what he does.